Every new Kindergarten student is allocated a Grade 4 buddy for the duration of their first year at school. This begins during Kindergarten Orientation in the year prior to beginning school. A buddy is someone who students can quickly recognise and befriend and who can offer peer support on the playground. The Buddy system works on building a relationship between an older student and the Kindergarten child based on trust, affirmation and acceptance.
The Buddy system encourages prep students:
- to feel welcome
- to feel part of the community
- to become familiar with school rules, buildings and daily routines.
- to have channels to act through when experiencing difficulties.
- to develop skills through cross-age tutoring.
Older students in return:
- develop responsibility
- develop sensitivity and tolerance
- develop academic skills through cross-age tutoring.